Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Ginger Scones

A few days ago I tried another one of the recipes from the Martha Show. Ginger Scones with cardamom. Click here for the recipe. They turned out great.
I made them without the aid of a food processor and they came out just fine. I didn't use the parchment paper as was suggested and it was quite difficult scubbing my cookie sheet. The egg wash really cooks on the pan and it is a bear to remove. I used ground cardamom and not the pods. Next time I probably would increase the cardamom to 1 teaspoon since I did not use the pods. I love cardamom. Another thing I would like to try is adding raisins instead of the ginger for something different!

Enjoy :)

Edited 12/17/07 Since the link to the Martha Stewart website is a dead link a new search for the recipe was fruitless I am posting the recipe that was originally published on Martha's website date unknown.

Small World Coffee's Ginger Scones with Cardamom

Ingredients

Serving: Makes 12 scones

  • 3 Cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 Teaspoon cardamom pods, crushed and inner seeds ground
  • 1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 Cup crystallized ginger, chopped in 1/4-inch pieces
  • 3/4 Cup sour cream
  • 1/2 Cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 large eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, the bowl of a food processor, or in a large bowl, and mix by hand. Sift ground cardamom seeds into mixture; stir to combine. Add butter and mix until crumbly.
  3. Add ginger, sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 egg. Mix, blend, or pulse, just until combined; do not overmix.
  4. Form 1/3 cup dough into a ball or use a large ice cream scoop, and place dough on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing scones about 2 inches apart.
  5. In a small bowl, mix together remaining egg with a dash of water. Brush scones with egg mixture and sprinkle evenly with remaining 4 teaspoons sugar. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy! I love scones!

Ang

g-girl said...

ginger scones!!!!

Unknown said...

These were my favorite scones when I went to grad school in Princeton! I miss Small World! Thanks for sharing this recipe...